Thursday, August 12, 2010

Birds & Branches Chests of Drawers

These two chest of drawers are another Deseret Industries find. You don't often find matching pieces there! They weren't bad as-is, but they could use some freshening.

These were both pretty dinged up, and the small chest was missing the top two knobs.


Last fall my basement was briefly painted a very pale yellow--I liked the color everywhere except actually in the basement! (Something about the evening light made it seem a little green, and my husband said he felt like he was sitting in the middle of a key lime pie). I decided this was a perfect project on which to use my leftover paint!

I painted both chests in the soft yellow, and then I glazed them both with burnt umber acrylic paint. I didn't bother filling any but the really big dings, so the glaze settled in them and gave them a more gracefully "aged" look.

I replaced the top two knobs on both chests with glass-look knobs from Hobby Lobby.

Did you notice my little stencils? I used my Cricut to cut out cardstock stencils of four different birds and two different branches. I didn't want anything too babyish or garish; I wanted these pieces to be able to "grow" with the girl I envision using them.

So the top of each chest has a bird and a branch of some sort, and the second drawer of each has a different bird.


These went home to a pair of 8-year-old twin girls!

Furniture Feature Fridays

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

6 comments:

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

They turned out really pretty! I like the stencils. That's mostly what I use my Cricut for.

Rachel said...

As always, very cute! I like the stencils you used. Very smart putting something on the dressers that can grow with the girl. Girls are so expensive!!! :D

Cassie Bustamante said...

very cute! i love the soft color palette.

Unknown said...

You just put a smile on my face....

I was so happy you stopped by Starview Sonnet today to leave a comment. I hopped over to the Red Hen and had to smile about your husband not having room to park his car in your garage! That sounds SO FAMILIAR! I think we have a lot in common and I an anxious to explore your past posts.

I love the bird and branch chest of drawers! This furniture re-purposing is addicting!

best to you,

Cori

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I love how subtle these pieces are. Gorgeous!

Erin said...

Just darling and NOT overdone. great job. Wish I still lived near a DI, sigh!