Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Faux Enameled Stencils

My guess is that upon reading the title of this post, most people will be thinking: ????

Well, it was an experiment—and the jury is still out as to whether is was a “success” or a fail.  I’ll let you be the judge!

faux enameled tags stencils enamel

Here’s the deal.

Last August the lovely and talented Suzanne of Meridian Road posted a tutorial showing how she made these cute little faux enameled tags.

image

I loved ’em.  With a deep and abiding love.  I love the cute little number 5 above the mostest, because she actually sent it to ME!  It has a place of honor on my suitcase shelves.

So when I came across these cute little chipboard stencils at Ben Franklin (39 cents each!), I decided to give her technique a try.

boots, enamel, Rachel 005

First I used my 3-hole punch to…well, punch holes…in the corners.  I briefly considered using my drill, but cooler heads prevailed.

Next I gave everything a coat of Rustoleum Primer, followed by gloss white paint.  Would you believe I didn’t have gloss white paint in my stash?  I had to go paint shopping!  It’s one of my very favorite things to do. Thanks, Suzanne.

boots, enamel, Rachel 006

Next step…no pictures.  Whoops.  I used plain old black acrylic paint to simulate chippiness (is that a word?) on my little stencils.  Then I had to get creative to figure out how to attach the center of the “p” and the “g”—so I broke out the toothpicks and hot glue!

“Mother (that’s me) is the necessity of invention.”  …or something like that.

boots, enamel, Rachel 007

Last everything got a coat of Rustoleum clear gloss topcoat.  That’s when the magic happened—suddenly, they started to look like chippy enameled stencils (now you see where I got the title of this post). 

Some of it crackled a little…see?

faux enameled enamel tags stencils

I love that!

      **Here lies the problem.**

Have you ever made a project you liked, but couldn’t figure out where or how to display it?  You HAVEN’T?  Could you fib a little and tell me you have?

I tried it on the buffet.  UGH!   As in UGH-ly!

boots, enamel, Rachel 022

Then on the stair railing…maybe.

boots, enamel, Rachel 020

…draped on an old door…

boots, enamel, Rachel 009

…or draped across an empty frame.

spring banner 012

That’ll do.

If, in your mind, you added, “Pig” after the previous sentence, please stop and give me a virtual high-five.

I think it works well on my “wall of frames!”

spring banner 013

If you think you’d like to make your own faux enameled something-or-other, trust me when I say…visit Meridian Road!

boots, enamel, Rachel 008

Where would you hang it??
 
*******************************************************

Linking up here:

Visit thecsiproject.com

Coastal Charm’s Nifty Thrifty Tuesday Elizabeth & Co.
Domestically Speaking’s Countdown to Spring My Repurposed Life
Censational Girl  
The CSI Project No Minimalist Here’s Open House Thursday
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Beyond the Picket Fence’s Under $100 Party My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
From My Front Porch to Yours {Primp}

20 comments:

Full Circle Creations said...

I think it's a success. I love them! They do look like enameled stencils. Love the use of the toothpick too! Great job!

Holly

Pollyanna said...

These are just amazing, you are SO creative! And such a lovely outcome!!

andrea@townandprairie said...

I actually like it on the buffet... it complimented your spring green runner!

Unknown said...

Ha! I have quite making banners because I really don't have anywhere to hang them that works!!! The cupcake Valentine banner ended up at my sisters. lol

They are so cute, but just don't jive anywhere in my house, so YES...it happens to me.:)

Anonymous said...

i like on the door but i think the black is to dark.

Twice Nice said...

I think that is really neat! I love how you come up with all these new techniques. Go girl!

Rachel said...

I'm giving you a high five right now! :)

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

It's a Success to me!! I Love how your stencled banner turned out. I Like it hanging from the old door. I seen this tutorial on Meridian Road and I Loved it, but never got the chance to try it yet. Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful day!

Gypsy Heart said...

Success!
On the door ~
:-)

Seriously, you have a "create" space in your brain that I don't...but wish I did.

xo
Pat

Anonymous said...

Love how they turned out! I like them on the door, and I liked them on the railing. Thanks for sharing. I'm now a follower.

Anonymous said...

Okay Korrie--ya got me!
I'm a "builder" not a crafter, but THIS looks really fun--I'm gonna have to play with this!
Catherine

Ali Richardson said...

I love the look of them! I like the best on the door too. Awesome :)

SImple and Serene Living said...

They look really great and I think I like them on the door the best, so far.:)

Andi said...

Ugh! I have tried to comment like 4 times! Hopefully this works! Sorry I haven't been by in a while! You always crack me up! And I totally said "pig, that'll do" High fives all around!! haha! Love the faux enamel, great job!

Erin @ Simply Frugal Mom said...

I'm dropping by as The CSI Project guest judge this week. Definitely a success. Great project!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I did say 'pig'! High five!
Thanks so much for the shout out, Korrie! I think your stencils turned out so good! I love them on the door. I think they'd look good propped up, too. If you get tired of them as a banner. :)

momntheboyz@aol.com said...

Absolutely love it on the picture frame! Beautiful! Also loved the pig comment!

Jenn said...

On your front door, over the orange?

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Creative, fun and thrifty too!

Unknown said...

I think you did a great job. So great I noted the steps and will try it too. Thank you for sharing with us.