Friday, February 7, 2014

Green Dragon Inn sign

My family room project (first mentioned here) has been stalled out as we wait for my NEW COUCH!   I’ll share more about that later, but let me just warn you…don’t put too much faith in shipping company estimates that send you in a panic to get rid of your old furniture…or you just might spend 2 1/2 weeks with NO furniture!

So the goal for my family room was to be a little more “fun & funky” than is my normal modus operandi.  If it were up to my husband and/or children, the whole room would look like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise.  Or a Tardis.  Or a wood-elf lodge.

I’m already compromising by including Legos in the room (you can see my IKEA hack display shelf here)….but it’s NOT going to be a Tardis room!  However, I am trying to work with a bit of a theme, and I call it:

Vintage Geek

Something for him (husband), something for them (kids), and something for me (me!).

With that in mind, I worked on a little wall art, loosely inspired by the Ballard Designs Pruvost plaque.  I’ve loved the shape of it for.ev.er.  So I used some scrap plywood to make a similar-shaped sign, which is supposed to look like an ooooooollllllddd (that’s the vintage part) inn sign.

flags, signs 010flags, signs 011flags, signs 012flags, signs 013flags, signs 014flags, signs 015

I made the white one first, but then I wasn’t sure if it went in the room as well as I wanted…so then I made the wood one.

flags, signs 016

So how about an opinion?  Which one do YOU like better??

And then a question:  are you geeky enough to know what the “Green Dragon Inn” comes from??

Red Hen Home Green Dragon Inn

If you want to cheat, the answer is here.

*******************

Note:  I have been getting some questions lately that I can’t respond to because they come from “No-Reply Bloggers!”  If you’ve asked me a question and I have answered, please try again, but include an e-mail address!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

My teens would say The Hobbit? Awesome sign and so much more authentic with the shaped board. I like both so it would depend on what other things are happening in the room.

Angela said...

I knew immediately that we were talking hobbit. I have to go with the stained wood one. I love it!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love it, Korrie! The shape is great! I think I like the white one but that is just my preference based on what I have in my own home.

Dragonfly4 said...

I knew it was from The Hobbit! That sign is awesome! I know my kids would love it. Or a TARDIS room. They think we should build on an additional (game room) with a TARDIS entrance... I'm all for it, but hubs is as big a fan. Oh well...
At any rate. I'm sure my daughter will be itching for a sign just like yours.
Awesome job on it. You do beautiful work!
Karen U

Dragonfly4 said...

I knew it was from The Hobbit! That sign is awesome! I know my kids would love it. Or a TARDIS room. They think we should build on an additional (game room) with a TARDIS entrance... I'm all for it, but hubs is as big a fan. Oh well...
At any rate. I'm sure my daughter will be itching for a sign just like yours.
Awesome job on it. You do beautiful work!
Karen U

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Both signs are beautiful- it would depend on the rest of the room. For me, I'd go with the white one. Love me some hobbits! :D

Homeroad said...

I love the white one the best Korrie... I've always loved the shape of that Ballard sign too and you nailed it! Great job!

My Repurposed Life said...

super job Korrie! I like the white one better cause my eyes are old and it seems to show up better.

:)

I'm one of those dreaded no-reply bloggers, but hopefully either you know my email addy or your email does the autofill for you. I can't fix it. :( I wish I could

have a great weekend!
gail

Zimtkätzchen und Zuckerschnecke said...

Oh, I love both!! Very nice! And pssst... the green Dragon exists in the Shire ;) but I prever the prancing Pony (tänzelnde Pony in german) They have bigger beer (pippin said)
have a nice Weekend
DAni

Bliss said...

I did not know what the sign was from, but I do think its a fun way for you to bring in their likes with your taste.

Unknown said...

Where did you get the clock? I love it!